The first building at Walnut Grove was built in 1920. The school was the community center for all kinds of activities other than school related programs and ball games. Walnut Grove’s name comes from the fact the building was once located among many black walnut trees. Most of the large walnut trees have been cut down for expansion of the school facilities.
In 1951 the old building was torn down and a new block building was built. A new gym was added in 1961. A library and new classrooms were added in the 1970’s. In 1989, a new lunchroom and classrooms were built. A new media center, special education classrooms, and teacher restroom facilities have also been constructed.
The mission of Walnut Grove School is to develop all students academically, morally, and socially to achieve in the 21st century. This will be accomplished through a joint educational effort among enthusiastic and highly qualified teachers, motivated students, and informed parents. Together we will provide an environment conducive to learning, with an integrated curriculum designed to accommodate all learning styles.
- Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.
- Everyone needs to be responsible for his/her own actions.
- Everyone needs love, acceptance, support, and guidance.
- Everyone needs to have a feeling of self-worth.
- Everyone deserves an environment conducive to learning.